The collection of the Heritage Room at Lincoln City Libraries includes digitized items from the Rudolph Umland Papers relating to the Nebraska Federal Writers’ Project. Umland served as an editor and from 1936-1941, as Assistant State Director of the WPA's Nebraska Federal Writers' Project. A life-long friend of writers Mari Sandoz and Loren Eiseley, Umland donated personal correspondence and a fifteen-volume scrapbook to the Heritage Room in 1989. The collection, and a related web exhibit on the Heritage Room home page, document the striking influence of Nebraska writers in shaping the innovative vision of American history and culture that guided the New Deal's Federal Writers' Project.
The Heritage Room collection also includes images that were scanned from an album titled “Lincoln, Nebraska: A Photograph Album of Business Buildings.” These images date from around 1930; their descriptions were provided by Ed Zimmer, with the help of a student intern from Nebraska Wesleyan University.
Jane Pope Geske Heritage Room Rights Statement
The photographs, graphics, texts, and other materials on this site are provided by the Jane Pope Geske Heritage Room of Nebraska Authors, Lincoln City Libraries, Lincoln, Nebraska. Permission to reproduce these in any form, other than for personal individual use, must be obtained in writing from the Heritage Room at Lincoln City Libraries. Fees may apply. Digital TIFF images are available.
Conditions for use of digital material
The right to use digital materials provided by the Heritage Room is on a one-time use only basis, with the following conditions:
- That proper acknowledgement be made. Unless more specifically stated by the Library, acknowledgement must always minimally read: From the collections of the Jane Pope Geske Heritage Room of Nebraska Authors, Lincoln City Libraries. That acknowledgement must accompany each image.
- That proper citation be used. The purpose of citation is twofold: for acknowledgement, and to allow others to find and verify the information being cited. Complete citation includes, if applicable: author or photographer, title or image number, the URL, and the date.
- There is no misrepresentation of the images, recordings, text or other material so as to falsify the information they present.
- That the user assumes responsibility for all questions concerning copyright violation, photographic releases, invasion of privacy, slander, and/or libel resulting from the use of the texts, images, or recordings. Copyright for some material(s) on these pages may be held by others. The transmission or reproduction of these protected items, beyond that of fair use, requires the written permission of the copyright owner(s). Additionally, copyright on other historical materials appearing here may be difficult or impossible to determine; nevertheless, determinations of appropriate use are the responsibility of the user.
- That no manipulation of any kind be made to or applied to these digital image file(s) without express written permission from the Jane Pope Geske Room of Nebraska Authors at Lincoln City Libraries. Manipulation includes but is not limited to the following: contrast adjustments, rotation, inversion, sharpness, tonal adjustments, resolution, and removal or alteration, in any manner, or details inherent to the original image.
- That any applicable fee required be paid in advance to the Heritage Room at Lincoln City Libraries. Users must also sign an Image Reproduction Permission agreement. Individual personal use of images printed directly from our web site is an exception.
For more information about digital imaging use and fees contact the Heritage Room at (402) 441-8516.
The Jane Pope Geske Heritage Room of Nebraska Authors and Lincoln City Libraries are dedicated to the idea of an open dialogue concerning the past. Opinions expressed in interpretive materials are not necessarily those of Lincoln City Libraries or of the Heritage Room of Nebraska Authors, but are those of the authors or creators of the materials.
Some of the historical materials exhibited here may contain negative, inappropriate, or offensive connotations reflective of a culture or language of a period or place in our past. These materials are presented as part of the historical record.
The Jane Pope Geske Heritage Room of Nebraska Authors
Bennett Martin Public Library
136 South 14th Street
Lincoln, Nebraska 68508-1899
Phone: (402) 441-8516